Quetzaltenango Guatemala

Quetzaltenango Guatemala

3.30.15 6 Months!!!

March 30, 2015

Wow this week marks my 6 month mark, dang the time has passed so fast. It's crazy really, it's only been 6 months but I already feel so at home and comfortable here. Guatemala and everything it has to offer like the jungle, the food, the culture, and everything really has become to feel normal now, the mission is great.

  This week while we were checking the area book we found an old investigator from the previous elders about 6 to 7 months ago. We gave the guy a call, his name is Juan Garcia, a super nice guy who has a wife and a 7 year old daughter. This week we called him and set a visit with him to go and see what his situation is and to see if we could possibly continue to teach him. When we got there we found out that his wife was super positive months and months ago, the problem was that her husband was never able to assist church with her, so she stopped coming. But, now that he doesn't work on sundays, he is able to go!! We taught him about baptism and he accepted a date for baptism the 25 of April!!! Holy cow it was an awesome experience, He only needed 15 minutes of a lesson to say yes to a baptismal date. He is super positive and so is his wife, they have both committed to coming to General Conference this sunday with us a couple of miles down the road in a chapel, It will be an awesome opportunity for them to listen to the prophet and the apostles and feel the spirit. They are super positive, and we are super excited that we were able to find them.

    This week we went with a member family and made pizza!! It was super fun, but the greatest part is that we did it with his non member extended family. We didn't end up getting to really have a lesson or everything, just small talk, but we definitely gained confidence with the nonmember family and we will be teaching one of the cousins to the members that was there making pizza with us this upcoming week which will be great.

       One of our investigators named Roselia had serious surgery this week, because of this we were not able to go and teach her, but everything seems like it went well (we talked with one of her cousins who said that everything went well). This week on Wednesday we are going to go and see how she is doing, teach a little bit, and put a baptism date with her. They are super positive so we are hoping that they will continue to study and pray every night in order to receive an answer.
        haha this week marked the beginning of semana santa, which means that all of the catholics take to the streets everyday with their apostasy floats and statues of christ and mary, it's crazy!! We literally can't walk down some of the streets, they are filled with TONS of people holding these really tall yellow leave things and waving them and chanting stuff, super satanic. After passing the 1 millionth street procession, we passed these 2 kids and asked them if they were going to do what the catholics were doing, they responded with no, and we just said, good job. Haha it is ridiculous, my comp told me that here semana santa is crazy and that the work here really tanks, but we will see what happens, hopefully we will still be able to visit people and teach like we have planned.

         So an update on some weird things that Iv eaten recently, pig spine soup...... haha gross. Pig foot soup........ skin and hair included, pretty much everything that a pig has we eat down here, and most of the time it's in soup form. Honestly though, here in Cantel we eat better than we did in Salcaja, here the people eat a lot more modern food instead of the native stuff. My health has been a lot better too since I've been here which has been a huge blessing, but it's never perfect, and it won't be for the next 18 months.
            
         I have some crazy news....... My comp and i got a call from president this week, he told us that my comp is being bumped up to district leader! So, this means that I am getting a new comp, but then he told me that I am going to be training!!! Tomorrow my comp leaves in the morning and I will be getting a newbie fresh from the CCM!!! I am super pumped, this will be my first kid!! I sure hope that he is a gringo, but even if he isn't, I will still be just as excited!=) I also got some news that since my comp was district leader but now he is leaving, I might even have the opportunity to be district leader, but we will both know for sure tomorrow at 8 am at the changes. Either way, I am super pumped and excited for the change, I feel like this is the time now when I will be getting a ton of awesome experience, it will be the first time as senior companion, I can't wait!

            This week was a great week, we now have a baptism date which is super exciting!!! I just hope and pray that our investigators can keep their compromisos and come to church this week. I am in good health and lovin the mish, it has been such a wonderful experience for me so far. I have learned so much, and I love studying the scriptures so much, there is SO MUCH to learn it's crazy, but here in the mish we are studying like crazy and learning a ton every day which is good. Hope that everyone has an awesome week, love you all, and hope that you all have a wonderful easter and General Conference weekend!!!!

Elder McLeod